Ash Hope yoga | zen | holistic health & wellbeing
Ashtanga Yoga in Brisbane with Ash Hope
I have been teaching the Ashtanga yoga system for over a decade and regularly study in India and with my teacher Nancy Gilgoff. Nancy was one of the pioneers of introducing Ashtanga yoga and Sri Krishna Pattabhi Jois to the west in the 1970’s.
In 2018 I have organised Nancy’s first visit to Australia where she taught at our Ashtanga Yoga Centre in Cairns.
To appreciate the knowledge and experiences each senior teacher brings to the Ashtanga lineage, I have attended several teacher trainings with Manju Jois, Prem and Radha and David Swenson. I have also studied with Sharath Jois at the KPJAYI in Mysore/India.
Over the years I have developed a greater interest in the practice of meditation and have found my home in the practice of zen. I attend regular silent retreats at the Open Way Zen established by Zen Master Hogen-san.
My fascination about the body’s self-healing abilities led me to study CranioSacral therapy with the Upledger Institute in Singapore. This has given me a deeper understanding on how to heal and release injuries, illnesses and trauma.
I have been teaching traditional Mysore style classes at the Ashtanga Yoga Centre in Melbourne, on the Sunshine Coast and in Cairns. In 2019 we arrived in Brisbane and I am very excited to contribute to a growing Ashtanga community.
Practice and all is coming ~Sri K. Pattabhi Jois
Continuing the lineage
What I love about the traditional Ashtanga Mysore style practice is the personal approach. This practice format allows me to work with each student individually to provide customised guidance and support. And my role as a teacher is to make the practice accessible to anyone who is willing to learn this method.
My practice and style of teaching is inspired by teachers who have spent decades under the guidance of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois. Their dedication and passion to carry on the tradition of this practice is also part of my motivation to teach Ashtanga Yoga. I am dedicated to my own practice which I incorporate into my busy life of work, studies and relationships with my partner, family and friends.
- Nancy Gilgoff – study period, December 2019 / January 2020
- Nancy Gilgoff – study period, May/ June 2019
- Nancy Gilgoff – Intermediate series teacher training and study period, September/ October 2018
- Nancy Gilgoff – Primary series teacher training and study period, May/ June 2018
- Nancy Gilgoff – study period, September 2017
- Sharath Jois, KPJYI Mysore – study period, January 2017
- Manju Jois – Intermediate series teacher training, November 2016
- Nancy Gilgoff – study period, November – December 2016
- David Swenson – Primary series teacher training, September 2015
- Prem and Radha – Primary series teacher Immersion, September – October 2014
- Ashtanga Yoga Berlin, Andrea Lutz – study period, 2011-2013
- Manju Jois – Primary series teacher training, June 2012
- Nancy Gilgoff – Ashtanga workshop, August 2011
- Simon Borg-Olivier – Awakening the spine, May 2010
- Moksha Yoga – Creative vinyasa sequencing, December 2009
- Ashtanga Yoga Melbourne – study period, 2009-2010
- Himalaya Yoga Valley Centre – Ashtanga Vinyasa and Hatha yoga teacher training, October – November 2009
Other area of interest/ studies
- Craniosacral Therapy, Upledger Institute Singapore, September 2019
- Sanskrit for Yogis, Seth Powell (January – March 2019)
- History and Philosophy of Yoga, Seth Powell (September 2018 – December 2018)
- Zazen Meditation, Open Way Zen (2018 – ongoing)
- Yoga Philosophy and Sanskrit chanting, Dr M.A. Jayashree and Professor M. A. Narasimhan (2016 – 2017)
- Nada Yoga – Yoga of sound / Harmonium and voice training, Radha Rajani (2017 – ongoing)
- Bok Jinpa Buddhist meditation series (2011 – 2012)